Message of the UAP National President
January 1, 2019 | By: Office of the National President
UAP NP NEW YEAR’s MESSAGE (1st 6 months brief report)
January 1, 2019
Dear Fellow UAP Members,
My warmest wishes for a happy holiday season! May you, your friends and loved ones be blessed with a safe and joyous holiday season as we look forward to a new year filled with incredible promise and opportunities.
This is the season for reflection on the past year and for making plans for the future. It is, therefore, an opportune time for me to express my appreciation to all the officers and members of this great institution – the United Architects of the Philippines - for your commitment, kindness, dedication, and support during the Year 2018. Most assuredly, I am appreciative of the support and assistance that you have given to me during my first six months as National President.
Your continued investment in UAP helps to assure its progress toward achieving the vision of national leadership in fulfilling its commitment towards Unity, Ability, and Continuity of Services and becoming a leading institution on national and global issues concerning the architecture profession. I am confident that we will attain greatness as our national and local leaders, members and staff continue to work collectively toward the achievement of the vision.
Our goals cannot be achieved without change and improvement at the UAP on several levels. Many of you know that my single most important focus has been on promoting the architecture profession and protecting the architects, which is why we launched last July 2018 the #GetAnArchitect advocacy campaign. To date, the initiative has measurably acknowledged and recognized nationwide with the full support of our chapter leaders and members.
With your unfailing support to the current administration, IN JUST SIX MONTHS, we were able to:
- ENTER INTO A MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT with THE MANILA TIMES as UAP’s official media partner and for the publication of the weekly column of the UAP’s Architect’s Perspective
- PROVIDE AMNESTY PROGRAM to bring back to the folds inactive architects which will take effect for the period January 2019 to June 30, 2019.
- INITIATE CPD PISO FAIR and FREE CPD seminars to the general membership.
- DOUBLE the NATCON delegates from 3000 to 6000 for the coming 2019 UAP National Convention.
- PROVIDE A LESSER PACKAGE and cost of registration for Natcon Delegates to just register for CPD Seminars and not the whole convention activities.
- PROVIDE RFID CARDS for FREE to the architects in the Joint Area Assemblies and National Conventions.
- REVIVE MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT WITH WILCON BUILDERS for architects to use their Wilcon Stores for Architects meetings or Chapter General Membership Meetings for Free.
- INSTALL THE CAMPAIGN ADVOCACY #GETANARCHITECT billboards in all the CITIHARDWARE and WILCON stores NATIONWIDE promoting the architects.
- PROMOTE the advocacy campaign on billboards and street lighting lamp posts and LED Signages and other forms of tri-media networks such as in The Manila Times, The Business World, The Daily Tribune, Radio talk shows DZRM , DZEC, and Balita Ngayon, including TV talk shows 6:30AM Ronda Patrol.
- PLACE THE ANNUAL NATIONAL MEMBERSHIP DUES OF UAP MEMBERS (FY 2018-2019) to a Time Deposit Account for future use.
- DIRECT ALL LOCAL CHAPTERS to pay courtesy visit and collaborate with local government units and to present the position of the organization concerning the implementation of R.A. 9266, and to apply for accreditation as Non-Government Organization in their respective localities.
- DIRECT ALL FOREIGN UAP CHAPTERS to pay courtesy visit with their respective Philippines embassies and consulates seeking recognition as an NGO of the said diplomatic offices.
- ENTER INTO THE MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT with various institutions such as NLEX Corporation, Davies Paints, Rain or Shine Paints, Nippon Paints.
- REACH OUT TO OTHER ARCHITECTURAL ORGANIZATIONS to work out collaboratively for the promotion and protection of the architecture profession.
- SUCCESSFULLY IMPLEMENT all national events such as the World Architecture Day, National Architecture Week, Joint Area Assembly 2018
- REPRESENT THE UAP in various international fora such as the APEC Architect Central Council Meeting, Asian Congress of Architects, ASEAN Architect Council Meeting, EAROPH World Congress, ARCASIA Committee Meetings and Roundtable discussion.
- SECURE THE HOSTING OF THE 9TH APEC ARCHITECT CENTRAL COUNCIL Meeting which will be held in the Philippines in the year 2020 and for the Philippines to serve as Council Secretariat for the year 2019-2020.
- SECURE THE HOSTING OF THE ARCASIA COMMITTEE ON PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE which will be held in the Philippine this coming February 2019.
- APPROVE THE HOSTING OF THE FIRST-EVER ASIAN ARCHITECTS IN THE ACADEME ASSEMBLY which will be held in conjunction with the 45th UAP National Convention.
- HOST THE 1ST Innovation and Construction Forum in collaboration with the CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY AUTHORITY OF THE PHILIPPINES (CIAP), an attached agency of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) and the central authority of construction in the country.
- SERVE AS THE EXECUTIVE PARTNER for the Philippine Association of the Professional Regulatory Board Members, Inc. (PAPRB)’S 7TH PROFESSIONAL SUMMIT
- CREATE AN ADHOC COMMITTEE TO MONITOR BILLS FILED IN THE SENATE AND HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES that may have an adverse effect on the architecture profession
- DRAFT COMPREHENSIVE POSITION PAPERS to be submitted to the Senate and House Representatives this January 2019 concerning these bills.
- CHARTER 6 NEW UAP CHAPTERS for the first 6 months in office, namely, CABALEN-PAMPANGA, MAKATI AYALA TRIANGLE, MANILA ILUSTRADO, SOUTH COTABATO-KORONADAL, TARLAC KUBLAHI, PAMPANGA GULIS CAPAMPANGAN Chapters - the first-ever in the history of UAP to charter 6 new chapters during the 1st 6 months of the administration.
It is also worth mentioning during our administration, UAP has bagged the ANG SUSI AWARDS 2018 under Community Service category for its Bayanihang Arkitektura program, the first APO to receive such recognition.
All of these developments are indicators of a professional organization on the move, and our progress is a tribute to the UAP family.
This coming year, UAP will be celebrating the 44th anniversary of its founding. In this milestone year, I believe we are at a juncture for once more reflecting on the thinking of our founders. The thoughts and aspirations that swelled in their hearts during their journey in this great organization bore tangible fruit with the establishment of what we call now UAP. Now more than ever, it is imperative for us to achieve sustained advancement with the ideals of our founders in our own hearts.
Our solidarity is the heartbeat of our institution. Our bonds are stronger than we think and stronger than that which at times divides us. The complex built environment in which we live challenges us, but it does not pose greater challenges than those faced and overcome by our predecessors.
My wish this coming year is that, together, we will continue to seek to build the true UAP which our forebears dreamt, embracing the values, possibilities, and responsibilities contained in that dream.
Makakaasa po kayo ng aking taus-pusong paglilingkod para sa ating minamahal na samahan.
Mabuhay ang Arkitektong Filipino!
Arch. Benjamin K. Panganiban, Jr., FUAP
UAP National President